Monday, October 5, 2009

Tisket a Tasket - October

Wow, I can’t believe it’s time for another block!  I don’t know where the time has gone.  Well…yes I do and I’ll tell you about it after I show you this darling block.   So fun to do in wool too.   By now, you know the drill about heading over to Anne’s blog to get the pattern.  Only 2 more blocks left to go! 

001-1  I think we’re going to look for sashing fabric while we’re at Market, right Anne? 011

So, on to the reason for my absence.   I won’t go into ALL the details but first want to thank you all who have emailed me to ask about my Mom or to tell me that I’ve been missed.   I really appreciate you all.  Bloggers are just the best!

As you know from a previous post, my Mom got “cellulitis” in her legs and was admitted to the hospital.   While there, she developed a blood clot in her thigh.   She was then treated for that but began getting very weak.   (You need to know that she is 89 years young, and prior to the cellulitis, she played golf 3 times/wk, line dancing 2 times/wk, tai chi, daily walks and….get this…20 minutes on the Nordic Track.   Lived alone in her own house and still drove everywhere.  Now she can’t even get herself up from a sitting position and has to walk with a walker.)

Anyway, after 2 weeks in the hospital, and then 2-1/2 weeks in a skilled nursing facility, she was able to come home but needed 24 hour care.   I provided that for a week until she had to be readmitted because of anemia and loss of blood.  Where was all her blood going?   That was the $64,000 question.    After doing an Upper GI, 2 CatScans, an MRI and Xrays, they still don’t have a definitive answer.  

An oncologist was called in and suspects that she may have “blood cancer”.   Not really sure what that is…and they say they won’t really know until it manifests itself.   If anyone out there knows anything about this…let me know.  

We had arranged 24 hour care for her in her home right before the last admission.  I was supposed to be going to Emma’s 3rd B’day celebration in Seattle, but thought I better stay in Sacto.   My Mom and brother both insisted that I go to Seattle and after much prodding from both of them, I went ahead and left her in the care of her Drs and my brother, telling them that I could hop right back on a plane and come back if needed.   She stayed in the hospital another week and then came home and, for now, has a caregiver she really likes.   

I have to say that if any of you are caregivers or know someone who is, you have my utmost admiration and respect.   It is an incredibly hard job and so very stressful.   Kudos to you!

Now, on to the party.  Emma turned 3 and she wanted a “pinkalicious” party in the park.   She got her wish.  Here she is, swinging at her pinana… Yep, that’s what she calls it.  

Emma's 3rd B'day 208

We gave her a pink laptop and some fun dress-up clothes and shoes.

Emma's 3rd B'day 089 

Emma's 3rd B'day 109

Emma's 3rd B'day 099

She wasn’t feeling very well on her b’day.  She’d had a nasty cold and fever AND….decided to share it with…ME!   Isn’t she sweet?   I’m sure I was ripe for any bug to invade my body!   I think it was the worst cold I’ve ever had.   We came home last Monday and I literally didn’t get out of bed until Thursday!   I’m on the mend now and really looking forward to going to Quilt Market with Anne on Wednesday.    After we get back from that, I’ll be heading back to Sacramento to my Mom’s. 

While I was at my Mom’s, I worked on lots of new projects for Anne. (She’s got some wonderful new patterns debuting at Market). What a godsend that was.   I took my sewing machine and supplies and Anne provided me with all the materials.  I didn’t have to make any decisions…I just sewed for her.   It was such therapy, I can’t even begin to tell you.    I would sew when my Mom was sleeping and it would help ease my tensions. 

I did get to work on 2 blocks of my Wool Garden too.

009  003-1

Look…we’re almost done!   Thanks Karen for your wonderful choices of cottons n wool!  And, by the way, I can’t wait to see you at Market!

014

So, that’s about it for me.  If you’ve stuck with me thru this whole post (a really long one for me), thank you.    It’s been a trying time, to say the least but we’ll all get through it.

I can’t end this without showing you a picture of the cutest little guy you’ve ever seen.   I call him “Mr. Happy”.   Our little guy, Mason, is now 4 months old!  He just makes me smile.

Emma's 3rd B'day 033 Emma's 3rd B'day 063

Being a Grammy is just the best!

33 comments:

Sherri said...

Hoping for the best for your Mom...it must be wonderful to have a good caregiver! Love your blocks as always...have a wonderful time at market...can't believe I stayed up this late...but I had to see this basket!

Darlene said...

Leaving good wishes for your Mom - thank goodness you found a wonderful caregiver. She's probably worth your peace of mind more than anything!

Love the new basket!

The 'pinana' is sweet and your grands are adorable!

Lorraine said...

Anne - wishing you and your Mum all the best....how wonderful that you were able to do some stitching to help you cope....lovely pics of the little ones....Mason is such a treasure!! I am a long way behind you with Karen's blocks...but I will get there..one day! Have a wonderful time at Market....maybe I will get there one of these days!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Sorry for your trials and tribulations--looks like other than sharing her illness, spending time with your little ones was the perfect pick me up. Sounds like your mom is in good hands. I applaude caregivers! Hoping you can enjoy market. October's little kitty and witch are just darling.

Kaaren said...

My best wishes for your Mom, Anne. Your grandbabies are beautiful.

Have fun at Market!

Can't wait to start on October's block!

Irishgirlsews said...

Gods blessings to you and your family. Yes, caregivers are wonderful. Love the picture of your grandson looking at the big polka-dots on the quilt!! So cute.
Wendy

Helen said...

Anne--I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I hope they find out what's wrong soon and get her back on her feet.

Thanks for sharing your adorable Tisket a Tasked block. It's always fun to see the wool version of the block.

Do take care of yourself while you are taking care of your mom. You need to stay strong. Keep sewing and doing whatever else helps you relax during this time.

Unknown said...

Sending get well wishes to your Mom. Caregiving IS so hard, almost harder still to remember to take care of yourself along the way. Make up for some of this month's hardships by having a great time at Market. Love the Oct. block. And the grands.

Anonymous said...

I know all too well what you've been going through with your mom. I agree whole-heartedly about the caregivers!
The block is just adorable (as always). Go have fun at market!!

Karen said...

So sorry to hear about your mother. Things can change so quickly when you get older. Your mother was certainly an active person until the problems set in. I hope she can get well enough to do some more of that fun stuff.
Your wool blocks are wonderful. I always look forward to seeing them.

Hogan's Adventure said...

So glad to see your post, picture of Mason is absolutely darling and well of course Emma's too. Have fun at quilt market, see you very soon. xoxoxoxo

Yvette said...

I also hope all the best for your mom. She is very lucky to have you.

As usual, all your blocks are drool worthy.

Crispy said...

Oh Anne, my prayers are still going out for your mom to have a full recovery.

Your grands are so dang cute!! Emma looks BEAUTIFUL in her pink dress and heels and Mason looks like he needs to give gramma a really sloppy kiss LOL.

Crispy

Lori said...

WElcome home Anne. What a whirlwind you've been through! So glad you had your sewing to do at your moms. It really is therapy for the soul!
Your grandkids are adorable! Sorry to hear about your miserable cold. I hope you are all well and ready to have some fun at market!

Kathleen said...

I hope your mom is back up to line dancing again soon! I'll say a prayer for her. Your grandchildren are so cute. I see Mason has the same fuzzytop that my youngest son had. I used to love rubbing my cheek over it. I check your blog everyday to see your beautiful work, you've certainly kept busy! I can't wait to see how you finish your tisket a tasket quilt.

Have fun at market!!

Kris said...

My best to your Mom! Wow, my mom also had an accident early in the summer, and it has been quite a difficult time. I have gone through all the same things you mentioned.
Our little darlin' granddaughter is turning 3 in a few weeks too!! We have three lil' darlins'! Aren't they grand???
Hope you are back in the pink, and have fun at market!!

Jodi Nelson said...

Thanks for the update my bloggin friend. What a busy couple of months it's been for you. I hope you have a fabulous time at Market. Fun, Rest, Relaxation is my wish for you. Wave as you go by! I'll wave back. ;o) ooxx`jodi

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Anne,
Your Emma and Mason are just adorable, I totally understand how "Mr. Happy" makes you smile, from the inside out!!
Wishing you and your family well, good to hear your mother has a positive relationship with her caregiver and family too!!
Have a wonderful time at market with Anne and friends.
Love your quilty progress!!
Hugs, Carrie

Annelies said...

As someone who watches over my Mom ( 87 years young), I know the exhaustion when they are not doing well. It is good to know that we can pray and care for each other, while we care for those we love with all our hearts.
Best wishes to you and to your Mom. XXX Annie

Kimberly Mason said...

So glad to see a new post. I wish you the best. You are your mother's angel.

I have an Emma (my 6 year old GDaughter) and a Mason (my 19 yr old son) too and they are true joys. I wish you the same with yours!

Karla said...

Thanks for sharing. The pictures were wonderful. And as for caregiving yes, it is extremely stressful but in the end, you grow so much and find out more of your inner self, and that there really is a God out there who listens, and is compassionate, and helps you and your loved one through it all. I have been a caregiver for 5+ family relatives. And I praise God for being with me through it all.

Candace said...

Anne, my heart goes out to you and your mom - what a time. It might almost be a "rest" for you to go to market and see all your friends! Emma's party pics are adorable and Mason....what a cutie. I'll keep good thoughts for you mom and hope there are some definitive answers soon! Take care!
Cheers!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Anne! I hope you can relax and have a good time at market -- it's sure to be fun! Love your little tasket block -- and it looks like you had a good time (and much needed break) at the birthday party!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear your Mom is on the mend..What a good daughter you are. Love the photos of the babies..the wool block of the month has been a lot of fun. My first wool quilt..anxiously awaiting my last kit. Enjoy market and prayers and good wishes again for your Mom..

Carrie P. said...

Anne, so good to hear what has been going on with you and your family even though some has not been so good.
So sorry to hear your mom is still having a hard time. I pray the doctors can figure out how to help here.
Your grand children are precious.
Love all your wool blocks.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Welcome back Anne! Mason is adorable as is the October basket!

Carol said...

What a month you've had...sending lots of good thoughts for your mom. Have tons of fun at Market. Mason sure is a cutie pie...gosh what a smiler! And Miss Emma...OMG those dress up clothes are great. You take care!

vickibellino said...

Yes, I do agree that being a Grammy is the best, and yours are adorable. Your wool applique is absolutely gorgeous!

Darlene said...

A lady I used to work with went through this type of blood cancer with her mom - the treatments they used were expensive but not painful to her mom and she was able to tolerate them for about 4-5 years - that's not really knowing anything, but if it helps -... on caregiving - take care of yourself - it is very important that you give yourself the right to relax and enjoy your life while you are taking care of your dear loved one. http://rarediseases.about.com/od/multiplemyeloma/a/multiplemyeloma.htm another Darlene

happy zombie said...

As always... your blocks are so darling and makes me want to do a wool set too! Have a great time at market and hope you're feeling better soon.

PS... I see you guys got a ton of snow yesterday. Oh my goodness... snow!

Anonymous said...

First and most importantly, I wish your mom the best and a speedy recovery.

Your work is so lovely! I love the basket block and all the Wool Garden ones.

Take good care of yourself and those grandbabies... they are adorable :o)

Janet said...

My goodness, it's all being happening for you, I wish your mum all the very very best. The same for you as well, I know it can't be easy. Look at your baies, aren't they adorable. Love your baskets, they get cuter every month. All the best.

Kathy said...

Your blog is wonderful! Love your work! I have just finished the blocks for my Wool Garden (got it as BOM from Christmas Goose in LV, NV). How did you quilt it? Or rather how do you plan on quilting it :) This is the first wool applique quilt I have finished to this point and don't know how to quilt it.
Good luck to your Mom- the kids are adorable! Being a G'ma is the very best!